Constructed in 1567, the Paradesi Synagogue is the oldest active synagogue in the Commonwealth region. It stands on the land given by the royal family, and shares a wall with the Mattancherry Palace and the Pazhayanur Bhagavathy Temple. It was established by Spanish-speaking Sephardic Jews and has also served as the worship place of Malabari Jews. The clock tower has four faces, with the numerals in Hebrew, Malayalam, Arabic and Roman numbers. Scrolls of Law, golden crowns, plaques, deerskin Torah, rugs and hand-crafted China are important items of interest here.